In 1941-44, Captain McCann led two submarine squadrons, served in important positions at the Navy Department and was commanding officer of the battleship Iowa (BB-61) from August – November 1944. After promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral, he was Chief of Staff to Commander, Tenth Fleet, served with the Atlantic Fleet and Commanded Task Force 68, which escorted President Harry S. Truman to and from the Potsdam Conference.
Back to Press »
- Los Angeles Times Recommends San Pedro as a Destination September 13, 2018
- Pacific Battleship Center Launches New Website For Battleship IOWA Museum April 25, 2018
- All Aboard the USS IOWA January 18, 2018
- Explore some of LA’s popular veteran-owned businesses November 12, 2017
- 11 Must-Visit Museums in California by Culture Trip October 28, 2017