First shore bombardment against Mili Atoll in Marshall Islands. The USS IOWA received her first hit when she was struck by two Japanese projectiles (5 inch and 6 inch). The 6 inch projectile hit Turret 2 and the 5 inch projectile hit the hull plating, neither of which caused significant damage.
Back to Press »
- Los Angeles Times Recommends San Pedro as a Destination September 13, 2018
- Pacific Battleship Center Launches New Website For Battleship IOWA Museum April 25, 2018
- All Aboard the USS IOWA January 18, 2018
- Explore some of LA’s popular veteran-owned businesses November 12, 2017
- 11 Must-Visit Museums in California by Culture Trip October 28, 2017